Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Why the "Perfect Fit?"



I call this blog the “Perfect Fit” because that is what I am aspiring to find in my chaotic life.

Not a number on the scale. Not a clothing size (and let’s face it – clothing sizes vary from company to company, style, design, and everything else – who knows what size we REALLY are anyway?)

I am talking about fitness.

The Perfect Fit for someone who must juggle many, many things: Family, household, full time job, part time job. Not to mention other aspects of my life – date nights with my husband, reading books, pursuing spirituality, and just good old fashioned doing nothing but laying on the couch and being a potato!

I am 37 years old. I stopped wanting to be “thin” a long time ago. I don’t focus on the perfect body, because, really, I don’t even know what a perfect body is anymore. I have gone through so many phases in my life – the “hating my body” phase. The “not caring anymore so I am going to let my body go to shit” phase. The “tired of covering up my body” phase, and of course, the “gym rat hard body” phase – only achievable when you have nothing else to do but spend hours in the gym every evening (ahhhh – the good old days!!!)

I have the week off this week – I am staying with my sister-in-law in NJ. On Sunday into Monday, we had the snow storm. Knowing we were all going to be inside together with nothing to do and nowhere to go (not to mention a house filled with munchies and movies!) I offered to go out and shovel in the morning. Hey – a workout is a workout, right? It also racks up some bonus points for me! You have to love a house guest who will do the snow shoveling!

It has been fun looking around for new places to work out while I’m here as well. This morning, my sister-in-law babysat my 3 year old (cashing in my bonus points already!) so that I could take an hour and 15 minute power yoga class and stretch out the kinks from the holidays, the driving, the cold, the shoveling, and everything else I have dealt with the last few days…. I felt so calm after it. Such a nice way to finish off the holidays.

Since I am here for the week, I decided to see what else is in the area. I found a gym right around the corner, and if I play my cards right, I can get a good workout in everyday.

My husband will be joining us tomorrow night, so once again, the balance will be family, marriage, AND working out. We plan to take in a movie night, just the 2 of us, since I received a bunch of movie gift certificates. Luckily we also have my stepdaughter, grandma and grandpa, and my sister-in-law here to watch the little man while we go out and spend some time with each other (lately we have been 2 ships passing in the night…)

So, as I discussed in my first post, I am looking at 2011 with new goals. I want to get out of the “phases” phase of my life, and embrace my accomplishments wherever – and whenever – I can.

Carving time out of my life for fitness is a juggling act in and of itself, but at the end of the day, I love the feeling when I can tell myself – I did all of this today AND went to spin at 5 in the morning!

What are your goals for 2011? What do you hope to achieve? What challenges stand in your way? Are they real, or imagined? What can you do to shift those challenges so that it works for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment